Saturday, August 27, 2011

Wk 4 Reading


The reading his was insightful is a few different ways.  In chapter 9, Ben Zander describes the story where he went to meet the cellist to ask him to play to ask him to play in the concert.  The cellist agreed because Zander went in person to ask therefore avoiding the secretary who claimed the cellist was too busy.  Though technology has changed the way we interact with each other, I think it is still important to do things in person. 

As part of my job as the yearbook adviser, I am responsible for organizing and planning picture day for the entire school.  I work closely with the school photographer to organize the event.  We have to manage where, how, and when to get 3,600 students through five picture lines.  A time saving measure is the use of preprinted sit cards.  The sit cards are given to the teachers to pass out to students.  Students take the card to the photographer who scans that card and takes the photos.  This makes the lines move quickly since it only takes seconds to take the photograph and identify the person.  In order to get the cards printed, I am required to submit a listing of all students in the school by name, grade, teacher, period, and student id.  In past years, I have had the list within an hour after the request is made.  However this year, the district has changed the major computer database for storing student information.  The new system has numerous possibilities but no one on campus is comfortable with the new system yet.  I sent my customary email asking for the list to the attendance secretaries.  After two days, I still had not had a response.  The photographer had been contacting me for the list so my stress level was soaring.  I decided to go down and discuss the list in person.  I spent a few minutes discussing the situation with those in the office.  Those were the most important moments.  I came away from the conversation with a plan and a solid understanding of the situation.  It turns out that no one knew how to make a list using the new system and the office had been swamped with students entering and withdrawing.  I explained why I needed the information and explained what I did with it.  I felt that we had come together to solve a problem.  Taking the time to discuss the situation in person made it possible to see beyond the words written in an email.  So much of communication is body language and voice inflection, in which both get lost through an email message.  I got the list two days later.  Right after the list was sent to my email, I got a call from the one of the secretaries asking if the list was what I needed.  I had the opportunity to thank her and tell her how much I appreciate her work.  I think it sounds better when spoken versus typed. 

I feel that most communication should still be done in person.  Though it may take more time, I think this is important for problem solving and working together as a team.  

Photo by Sheri Brinkerhoff

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this experience. I, too, feel strongly about communicating in person. As you mention, so much of communication can be found in body language and voice inflection. Human interaction can be lost in translation with the technology that exists. It is important to remember that there is a human behind every creation and/or message through these tools. Your story helps paint a clear picture of how effective communication can be when we remember to factor in the human connection while using these tools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great example of taking the extra step, meeting someone where they are at and working toward a positive solution. It's not just about face-to-face but the time taken to work with the folks you needed to work with.

    In the inverse, i've know some who do not value the efficiency that technology can afford us and purposefully ignore email messages and only respond to face-to-face dealings. That would be someone locked in their own box and unfortunately describes many many administrators I've had the pleasure to have known. That's when we go back to rule #6 and carry on with the task at hand. :-)

    ReplyDelete