Sunday, August 28, 2011

Wk 4 Peer Comment-Helen

The WE attitude is so important in the classroom.  As a teacher, nothing we do is only about us.  There always has to be a WE attitude in order for the class to be successful.  I completely agree that taking things one day at a time is truly the secret of being happy.  I have been making an honest effort to take things one day at a time.  I notice that I am happier and my stress levels have gone down tremendously.  Before reading this book, I would be so focused on what was “supposed” to happen in the future that I was making myself crazy.  I too need to reread this book, especially when I feel frustrated or disillusioned with the world of education.  The lessons are inspiring.  Thank you for your post!


Photo Credit: SmartBoard Notebook Gallery

As I continued to piece together what I wanted to write about this week's reading...I came to the conclusion I am going to blog backwards...the ending to the 9th chapter. Roz and Ben were very storng throughout the reading and continued to end the book with WE being emphasized and I think it needs to...they are sooo right. We can't do anything on our own and that will continue to make us put strong judgements upon ourselves but we need to learn to accept the things around us and to adapt and understand what WE can do and what WE can evaluate and fix and accomplish. It is funny but the last chapter a lot of their examples, words, and sayings really hit me but every time I came to a capitalized 'WE' it made me reflect upon myself and how I need to use this methodology of WE more often. It made me really reflect upon my CBR and how WE (students and myself) made it work but they were the WE. I always tell my students that WE work as a classroom and WE need to support one another...like we are a team and a building structure that leans upon each brick. Ben and Roz really pushed for the WE aspect and to do a clear reflection on weather or not we are considered the board. 

As I also reflected upon the reading, it made me really realize that we need to take everything we go through one day and one example at a time. Roz and Ben gave so many enlightening stories that we need to be aware of the things around us and to take advantage of giving others A and a chance to make mistakes and be themselves. I strongly believe that everyone needs to read this book and that I NEED to reread this book during the winter slump in great old Wisconsin because the snow really does drain us of the lacking recesses and fresh air that is highly needed to keep us motivate and open minded to keep moving forward. 

Ben showed great characterization when he reflected upon his own life and examples and what he didn't understand or deal with when he went to be on the board. He really interpreted the things around him and noticed that he was wrong and he told the truth of what was going on even though he didn't want to hear it himself. We as humans need to do this and understand that pride is one thing but being prideful is another. 

We need to continue to see the world in the half full aspect and that we aren't always right. We need to be the board and challenge ourselves to really dig deep and reflect upon ourselves. 

The story that hit me the hardest this reading was the story of Ben and the Eastlea school and it really made me reflect upon my goals as a high schooler wanting to teach inner city and make a difference in the lives of my students...the lives of those less fortunate...that didn't have the things that I did or the family stronghold I did. I continued to look back at this a regret not doing what I was passionate about. But after reading Being the Board and being the conductor and spark....I can be the difference maker in the school I am in and touch the lives of each of my students I have now by allowing them to be the conductor and the board and the spark and giving them an a.....

No comments:

Post a Comment