Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Wk 3 Reading-Rule Number 6


Chapter 6 resonated deeply with me this week.  I realized that I take myself way too seriously.  Goals and expectations fill my life.  My calculating self takes over and creates fear of failure, anxiety, and scarcity.  I am also in an environment focused on downward spiral thinking.  Everyone around me discusses pay cuts, benefit cuts, issues with students, etc.  It is very difficult not to fall into this trap.  With the beginning of the school year looming, I have decided that I do not want to participate in this type of thinking.  My personal goal is to rise above the circumstances of my present through observing Rule No. 6.  In making an effort not to take myself so seriously, I have realized that I am more at ease and generally happy. I made a Rule No. 6 sign to hang in my classroom. Yesterday, I told my students the story about the two prime ministers and Rule No. 6.  We proceeded to have a discussion on the benefits of Rule No. 6 in reference to creativity.  Many students are nervous to take an art class.   Past students told me they worry about their own artistic talent to the extent that they think they will not pass.  I told students that I did not want them to worry about making mistakes since that is where you learn the most.  The students seemed very perceptive and interested in the concept.    I am looking forward to seeing where this will lead.

Image by Sheri Brinkerhoff

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you wrote about rule number 6, and how it has already changed your life. I am sure it will be impactful to your students too. Creativity needs freedom, and a lot of fun for fuel. So I hope there will be a lot of laughing!

    I started writing my post on rule no. 6 too and decided my writing was not following rule no. 6 so I bagged it! I am glad to read your post about the many things that can get us down and often do. My list is too long, but my list of graces and joys is also. I most of the time do not realize that. My dogs help me keep joyful, and I cannot help but laugh with them.
    Even though I do know that I take myself too seriously, if you look a little deeper, you’d find this not all together true. Like the story about the two prime ministers, I find many of the things that make people upset don’t phase me and I take them in stride – like a parking ticket, or someone cutting on front of me in a line or anxious driver. It makes me wonder, when someone goes out of their way to make sure they are first, how small they must feel in another ways to put so much energy into making sure the cashier knows the order of the line. My goodness! That’s downward thinking.

    I have my share of that too, but over things that strike me hard sometimes, like a bad backache or a tough time financially, or a sick relative. But even then, when I stay in the moment and think what can be done in it, I just do that with as much aliveness as I have. Sometimes that aliveness might even be taking a nap, or sitting down or stretching when the pain level signals, or make do with what I have in the fridge, or take a walk, and make call or writing a quick email to stay connected to someone far away. Big things keep small that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you were able to admit that sometimes you take things too seriously and get caught up in the hype. I had a three-day conference this week and above all things I heard constantly about how budget cuts were coming into play and even after a teacher workday, I realized how depressing it was to be around people that really don't know what the future hold because of it. I have always been the one to challenge my students to be different as well, it is okay for them to accidentally squeak when they play their instruments. By squeaking they know what they need to fix because they remember what they did to get that sound.I wish you a successful school year and I to plan to adhere to Rule Number 6.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful freedom to learn requires that we get out of our own way to discover our talents and gifts and flaws. I'm so glad that you were able to share this with your students.

    ReplyDelete