Sunday, August 21, 2011

Wk 3 Peer Comment-Heidi


I too am passionate about art and nature.  This summer, I spent a lot of time outside with my daughter.  When I’m outside, I feel a connection to nature that my regular life is missing.  I wish you the best in Oregon!  It is a beautiful place.  I’ve had several friends and family members move there.  Your daughters are lucky to live in a beautiful and artistic place.  It is a shame that going to school means that they will be in a place that is devoid of art and nature.  I feel the same way when my daughter goes to school.  Like you, I try to make-up for it when we are at home. 

As for the downward spiral talk you and I both mentioned…I too started to eat lunch in my classroom away from the negativity.  Teaching is a hard job.  It doesn’t make it any easier after listening to all of the negative comments.  The negativity was so rampant the principal addressed it in a faculty meeting.  That was an eye opening experience.  Beyond my classroom and building, I know very little about what happens elsewhere in the school.  This year, I am going to avoid negativity at all costs in hopes of having a positive attitude.


Chapter 5. Leading from Any Chair: We're all leaders. How can we make a difference in the people we influence each day? How do we listen to those who help us make our dreams become reality?
You need to ask yourself, “How can I make them engage” don’t ask “How great am I doing? How much greatness am I willing to give?” A leader listens to suggestions and can instill a sense of pride into those giving the suggestions.
Chapter 6. Rule Number 6: Don't take yourself so seriously. Life is a journey--enjoy and learn along the way. Live, laugh, and love!!
Rule Number 6: don’t take yourself so goddamn seriously. I love this line. I am reminded me of a time I was in an argument with someone. In a fit of rage, I threw a bag of un-husked corn on the cob at him. After that the fight was forgotten and laughter ensued at the absurdity of throwing a bag of corn!
Chapter 7. The Way Things Are: Sometimes settling for the way things are is a lowering of expectations, sometimes it’s finding a starting point so that one can make things better. Where are you in this continuum?
Downward Spiral Talk…rampant in Education. When I started teaching, I was full ideas and innovations, but in staff rooms and meetings my voice was drowned out by jaded, seasoned teachers complaing about this and that, until one day I found myself sucked into the Downward Spiral Talks. Of course it doesn’t help that our complaints and negative thoughts increased as working conditions decreased.
Chapter 8. Giving Way to Passion: Control says that the only way to avoid disappointment and frustration is to not care at all. No hits, no runs, but most importantly, no errors. What are you doing in your daily life that expresses your passion or the things you are passionate about?
I am passionate about art and nature. In the brief freedom of summer for my girls (before they go back to school and are sucked into a world mostly devoid of these things), I try to instill as much of these two high held passions as I can. This is one of the main reasons I chose Portland, OR to move to. This city is as passionate about art and nature as I am. I try to combine my passions, by teaching my kids that nature is full of art; nature is art. Finding and experiencing the beauty that is nature is experiencing art.


Image by Sheri Brinkerhoff

No comments:

Post a Comment