Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Wk 1 Reading-Copyright



One of the ideas that stands out to me during Larry Lessig’s Talk about Remix Culture is that we live in an ‘Age of Prohibitions” where we live life ‘against the law. ‘  He discussed the message we send our children by pushing the remix of our culture underground.  The use of digital media created by or culture has changed the way we view ourselves and copyright issues.  The biggest problem is the mixed messages in our society.  A good example is the remixing of famous music by Girl Talk and the Techno Bregga movement discussed in the movie, “Good Copy/Bad Copy.”  How much of an original work can be reproduced and considered original?  Previously, I would have guessed that both examples would be a clear copyright violation.  However, the albums are released and sold for profit affecting the commercialization of the product.  It could be considered a positive benefit or free publicity but who decides?  Even though it only a small amount of the original music that is recreated, the original artist is clearly identified.  There are no predefined terms of time limit and copyright varies by county.  I whole-heartedly believe an artist has the right to his creation.  Does this include the corporation who represents the artist? Who has the right to make this decision?  I believe we are on the verge of a revolution in the copyright industry.  When the young people of this generation become the leaders of our country there will most definitely be changes.

-TED Talk video: ReMix Culture by Larry Lessig, retrieved from http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/187 on 8/3/11

-Blip.tv video: Good Copy, Bad Copy Directed by ANDREAS JOHNSEN, RALF CHRISTENSEN, HENRIK MOLTKE (http://www.goodcopybadcopy.net/), http://www.blip.tv/file/359180/ retrieved on 8/1/2011

-Copyright Image

4 comments:

  1. Sheri: I liked that you caught the phrase "age of prohibition". This makes me think of American history when I hear it, which is in total agreement with your theory that the generation coming up will bring us change! They are the tech generation and we are bound to see some major changes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheri,

    What strong comments but I whole heartedly agree with you. I believe that we are in a verge of a revolution too. Our students, children, and society needs to know and be more knowledgeable....and living life against the law...I LOVE that you had included this!! I think because this was shown in the first few videos I had forgotten how strong that comment was within the bounds of what we are learning about. The current and future generation of learners and leaders have such a strong foundation and set of creative skills that their lives are just going to explode with what the world has to offer to them. It is really scary to think that there are these copyright laws and not everyone is clearly aware of them and how many illegal things are going onto YouTube as we speak. And who has the right to say that copyright laws are being disrupted when one is to use the work outside of the United States....other countries have their own laws and do not follow by our terms of United States copyright laws. I really liked how you had so many questions within your comment as well because I had SO MANY thoughts and questions fly through my head as I watched these videos and tutorials making us better aware of these laws that are out there in our world. Thanks Sheri!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheri-

    Your post caught my eye. I enjoyed how the documentary challenged your previous considerations of copyright law and that you allowed it to. That, in my opinion is a successful filmmaker. As a film fan, this made me think of a film that similarly covers this issue from another time period and also in a slightly different manner. The film is called “Pirate Radio”. I’ve included the link to the trailer: http://youtu.be/qX1SSiFWF-s

    I enjoyed this film as it captures the essence of the issue and gives a snapshot of how this issue, how much it has changed and how much it has stayed the same. I hope you enjoy.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a controversial subject and I've had students who think that Lessig is the incarnation of the devil, trying to steal their livelihood. I've had students who feel like graphic artists are thieves because they use photographs as the basis/beginning step of their works. As long as copyright is subject to the golden rule, whoever has the most gold rules, then we will continue to see both sides slip further and further apart. Of course that was how things were when BMI came into existence.... hmmm.

    ReplyDelete