Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Personal Thoughts-Seating Charts

Through out this program, I have noticed that I am changing the way I think and feel about my classroom.  I just started second semester this week with new classes.  It is like the first day of school all over again.  Every first day at the beginning of the semester, I create an alphabetical seating chart to project the first day.  I do this mainly so that I can get to know everyone's names and to create a controlled environment.  When I was studying to become a teacher, I remember reading a book about classroom management that said seating charts tell your students who is in control from the first day.  This semester I began to question why I did this after a few students asked my individually if they could change seats so that they could see better.  I was more than happy to accommodate their preferences.  The situation got me thinking and trying to remember what it was like to have someone tell me where to sit.  I remembered a time when I was placed sitting next to this boy. (We were both kids in school then.)  He was very nice and polite but he would constantly tap his foot which made the desk wobble.  It drove me crazy!  I would be writing and the desk would be shaking.  The seating chart had created a situation where it hindered my ability to pay attention to the teacher.   I wouldn't want to put one of my students in the same situation.  I have decided to allow my students to choose their own seats.  Since I have an intern coming into my class this semester,  I am going to allow my students to choose their seats after spring break.  Mostly because if this fails, I don't want my poor intern to have to work with my mess.  We'll see what happens.

2 comments:

  1. I've done the seating chart thing both ways, Sheri, and depending on the class determines which will work best. I do find that at the beginning of the school year, without a doubt, it is best for me to create an alphabetical seating chart. Serves the purpose of establishing that I run my classroom, and more importantly, gives me a quick and easy way to start remembering names! I usually keep it this way through the first quarter so that I get to know the students fairly well. After the quarter, I allow them to choose and then just make changes as needed. We spend so much time working on projects in my previous Research classes, that the students were always moved around to work in their different groups anyway so they experienced constant seat changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful, Sheri. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. You may have to rearrange a little, but providing them with choice and some control can go a long way.

    ReplyDelete